The Job holder reports to the Administration Officer or the designate. The Job holder will either be assigned to provide transport services to senior WFP staff (i.e. Regional or Country Directors), high ranking officials and visitors; and/or support coordination of transport-related services by planning and assigning the routes and schedules for other drivers, and planning the overall vehicle maintenance.
• The latter usually occurs in offices with a large pool of drivers and very busy transport services where a Dispatcher role is required.
Job Title: Driver
• To provide efficient and safe transportation to senior WFP staff, high ranking UN officials or visitors, and/or provide support in coordinating transport-related services.
Major duties and Responsibilities
• Provide transportation to senior WFP staff, high ranking UN officials and visitors including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and the delivery and collection of various items following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
• Plan and assign the routes and schedules for other Drivers, to support efficient transport-related services for clients.
• Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities, to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorized destinations.
• Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
• Efficiently plan and coordinate WFP vehicle maintenance to ensure vehicles are fully equipped with required travel authorizations and supplies, assigned equipment on board is in a good condition to support safe and efficient services.
• Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
• Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying, and maintaining stores when required including mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills, to ensure administrative support to clients.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Completion of secondary school education/Middle School Leaving Certificate (MSLC). Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
• Two or more years of work experience as a Driver preferably in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorized vehicles. • Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
• Fluency in English language is essential.