Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To obtain high quality samples and be responsible for all field sample collections (i.e. ore control, moisture, and density samples) and submissions, which form the basis of generating ore control dig polygons for mining.
In This Role You Will:
- Validate blast pattern designs.
- Undertake various daily sampling activities (i.e. Blast Hole, Trenches, and Grab).
- Carry out all sampling activities following Standard Task Procedures, to ensure that the best ore sample quality is obtained.
- Place pegs in the correct positions and label them to enable easy after drill pick-ups by the survey team.
- Ensure that representative samples are taken as specified, and on time.
- Conduct on-site sample split down to the required sample size, for delivery to the assay laboratory (in the case of drill core and reserve circulation sampling).
- Record samples from the drilling contractors at the drill site and assay lab.
- Number sample bags correctly to contribute to the accuracy of ore control dig block grade estimations.
- Transport infill drill hole cores from field to core shed.
- Participate in drill core mark-up, core cutting, core orientation, and core photography.
- Obtain reviews from the Geological Technician and the Grade Control Geologist regarding quality of ore samples.
Geological Sampling Assistance
- Assist in operating Light Vehicles for sampling activities and Ditch Witch machine for cutting sample trenches.
- Assist the Geology Technician in the facilitation of sample sorting and submissions at the laboratory.
Standards and Quality Compliance
- Work within current Newmont Compliance and Quality standards, processes and procedures.
- Check to see that samples are collected in the appropriate bags with the correct labelling.
Health and Safety Management
- Accept personal responsibility for own health and safety, as well as health and safety of others.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensuring that safe work practices are followed.
- Abide by and support others in carrying out activities according to Newmont Health and Safety principles.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Minimum of Senior High School or West African School Certificate.
- Minimum of Driver’s License B.
- Minimum of 1 – 2 years’ relevant work experience as a Sampler within a Mining environment.
- Prior experience in an open pit environment and / or conducting basic geology related activities is preferable.
- Prior experience working in or being involved with drilling and sampling is preferable.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Sound manual dexterity skills.
- Sound mechanical tools skills.
- Sound time management skills.
- Takes initiatives.
- Safety Conscious.
- Position is located at the Akyem mine.
- Incumbent works mostly in the pit, where they are exposed to broken rocks on the pit floor due to blasting.
- Incumbent may be exposed to dust and noise from drill rigs and mining activities in the pit.
- Incumbent is exposed to moving rigs and other machinery in the pit.
- Incumbent has to work on a shift basis and may include night duties.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here Closing Date : 15th Jan. 2022