Abt Associates seeks an International Employee/Workplace Relations Specialist to support the Human Resources team and our International Development Division (IDD). This position can be based out of our Rockville, MD or Cambridge, MA location or be based internationally in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, or Uganda.
The International Employee/Workplace Relations Specialist will advise and provide support to international business clients on a variety of complex employee relations matters. These matters include investigations, performance management issues, disciplinary actions, policy interpretation and other employee-related actions. This person will collaborate with the HR Business Partners, HR Leadership, HR Compliance, Legal and Ethics and Compliance to define employee policies, practices, processes and procedures that promote a safe, transparent and productive work environment.
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Responsibilities May Include
- Lead remote detailed, factual employee relations reviews and investigations (e.g. performance management, inappropriate conduct, attendance, etc.), summarize findings in a written report and present report findings to HR leadership and Legal.
- Research Company policies, procedures, guidance, etc., to understand and assess the applicability of such to issues that arise in employee/Company interactions.
- Collaborate and consult closely with the aligned HR Business Partners, Employment Attorneys, Ethics Officers, etc. to review/resolve issues.
- Stay current on local jurisdiction labor and employee relations laws and regulations in countries we do business in or are entering in.
- Partner with IDD business leaders and International HR teams to create and sustain positive employee relations programs and best practices.
- Provide consistent guidance and interpretation for performance management, displacements, disciplinary actions, and other matters.
- Identify trends by monitoring reviews, disciplinary action reports, or other data sources to develop a basis for the prevention or reduction of issues.
- Proactively use trend data and other resources to prevent or reduce employee relations issues, address gaps or areas requiring attention through the implementation of additional controls, education, policies, practices and/or processes.
- Develop and facilitate remote and in person training to business unit clients, Human Resources, and other stakeholders related to employee relations and HR compliance issues. Partner with our Learning and Development team to develop employee and manager training content.
- Represent, testify, and/or otherwise support the Company in various matters, including investigations, government benefit hearings (e.g. unemployment), trials, arbitrations, and mediations.
- Support other employee programs (Visa administration, our Annual Awards, and our Global Telecommunity) to provide Employee Engagement support.
- 7-9 years of HR experience; preferably in an HR Business Partner or employee relations role supporting internationally based employees, preferably in developing countries.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must possess the ability to communicate appropriately with employees and business clients around the globe. The ability to speak and write English is required and the ability to speak and write French is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of USAID, DFIT and DFAT rules and regulations to include local country labor and employment laws.
- Strong HR training and experience, particularly in situations involving interpersonal conflict.
- Strong knowledge of and practical experience with employee relations issues (including understanding of employment law and policy interpretation).
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; ability to appropriately tailor messaging depending on audience.
- Experience in investigation training and responding to employee complaints.
- Demonstrate proven experience with dispute resolution and negotiation skills.
- Proven track record of working independently to achieve key results, while keeping management and colleagues abreast of critical issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to effectively communicate with all levels of management.
- Ability to travel if necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree + Five years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Three years of relevant experience, or PhD