We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic candidate to lead AI Policy at the Tony Blair Institute for a 12-month maternity cover contract.
Our Technology and Public Policy programme exists to help policymakers master the implications of the technology revolution and deliver progressive policy and strategy for the 21st century.
The post holder will play a central role in our work to develop politically actionable policy and strategy, and to use this to influence the global policy debate. They will report to the Director of the Internet Policy Unit and work closely with other members of the Unit and the wider policy community at the Institute.
Job Title: AI Policy Lead
- Establish distinctive, evidence-based policy positions on the role of AI, machine learning and advanced computing to accelerate prosperity and improve peoples’ lives around the world
- Deliver a range of policy products that shape the global policy debate, in particular focusing on Africa
- Promote our policy work with clear, effective and innovative communication
- Convene key players in policymaking and the tech sector to help drive real-world change
- Work directly with Institute colleagues who are directly advising governments in countries across Africa
The post holder will:
- Be responsible for scoping and structuring programmes of work
- Be responsible for developing and delivering a range of policy products
- Build productive relationships with their stakeholders in tech and policy
- Speak about their work at public events and in the media
- Line manage senior policy analysts and/ or policy analysts if required
The following criteria must be met:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years’ experience in public policy, consulting or relevant profession
- Proven ability to structure and solve complex policy problems
- A clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
- Experience working in a developing country on tech policy / projects
- A strong network in the tech sector or policy communities in Africa
- Practical experience using Machine Learning or data science to solve complex problems
The successful candidate will be based in one of our regional hubs in Ghana for the majority of their time, but will be required to travel to the head of office in London every 3 months. Other international travel may also be required.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people