Turner & Townsend is a leading independent professional services company specializing in program management, project management, cost management and consulting across the property, infrastructure and natural resources sectors. With 108 offices in 45 countries, we draw on our extensive global and industry experience to manage risk while maximizing value and performance during the construction and operation of our clients’ assets.
Main Purpose of the Role
- To perform the role of the Commission Manager, taking responsibility for end to end service delivery, often with respect to large or complex commissions.
- To act as the key, day to day client interface, ensuring that client objectives are met through the delivery of a value added cost management service.
Quantity Surveyors handle commissions of varying sizes, depending upon the complexity of the project, etc. For example a Senior Quantity Surveyor might be the Commission Manager for a R10M-R100M construction project or have responsibilities for packages on a much larger overall contract.
- Conducting feasibility studies and writing procurement reports
- Applying Value Management techniques at the outset of a project where appropriate or applicable, and where necessary involving Senior Management
- Managing and taking ownership of estimating and cost planning activities to include presenting the final cost plan including developing whole lifecycle cost models
- Managing and taking ownership of the procurement process, ensuring that all stages including pre-qualification, enquiry, Bills of Quantities, analysis, selection and contract preparation are performed effectively
- Ensuring that project cost variances and change control processes are effectively and pro-actively managed.
- Ensuring that cost management and valuation work is managed effectively
- Ensuring the preparation of monthly cost reports and presenting them to the client
- Value engineering, risk management and life cycle costing where applicable
- Ensuring that final accounts are negotiated and agreed timeously
- Taking a lead role in engaging with the client and other consultants, at all project stages
- Where appropriate, leading a cost management team, ensuring that they deliver on all of the above accountabilities
- Ensuring that QA/QC procedures are adhered to at all times
Marketing and Business Development, to include:
- Taking responsibility for developing new business opportunities with existing and new Turner & Townsend clients
- Identifying and acting upon cross-selling opportunities
- Working with Associate Directors and Directors to construct bids and proposals for new work
- Attending networking functions as required
- Identifying and acting upon opportunities to improve cost management procedures, templates and products and hence improve the service provided to clients
- Understanding the Turner & Townsend 2+2=5 philosophy and identifying and acting upon cross-divisional opportunities
Internal management accountabilities, to include:
- Staff management (where appropriate) – Inputting into the formal management of Quantity Surveyors on their team, to include 1st round recruitment interviews, input into resource management and attendance at staff appraisals
- Knowledge management – Ensuring that key information and learning generated from each commission is input into the Turner & Townsend internal database and Best Practice library
- Financial management – Utilising the Turner & Townsend FMS in order to keep track of the ongoing margin levels and monthly fee/resource forecasts for each commission
- Process improvement – Identifying and acting upon ways to improve internal systems and processes
- Training and Mentoring – Identifying and proposing training requirements for Quantity Surveyors in the cost management team and mentoring staff as required
Depending upon context, a Quantity Surveyor is likely to report to a Sector Leader, Associate Director or Director. Key Performance Indicators
A Quantity Surveyor will in part be assessed by the extent to which:
- Commissions are managed to the right quality standards and are completed efficiently and on time
- Service delivery on commissions is in line with the conditions of appointment
- Strong relationships are developed with clients and cross-functional team members
- The cost management team is effectively led (where appropriate) within the context of delivering a specific commission
- General line management responsibilities (where appropriate) are effectively discharged
- Business development opportunities with existing and new clients, including cross- selling opportunities, are identified and acted upon
- Margin levels and monthly fee/resource forecasts are kept track of on all commissions
- Key information and data is effectively cascaded and appropriately retained
- Relevant tertiary qualification i.e., Bachelors Degree in Quantity Surveying or Quantity Surveying Diploma obtained from a recognized tertiary institution
- Must have a professional Quantity Surveyor qualification
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a commercial / property environment / Infrastructure (preferable)
- Strong analytical ability with good communication skills
- Strong business development skills
Our inspired people share our vision and mission. We provide a great place to work, where each person has the opportunity and voice to affect change.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here Closing Date : 20th Jan. 2022