The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is seeking applications from enthusiastic individuals to assist with a research project in Somanya, Ghana.
During this internship, the intern will assist in the following areas:
A compost and briquette plant has been constructed in Somanya, Ghana. Trials have already commenced at the plant to produce compost and non-carbonized briquette from locally available wastes such as food waste, rice husks, sawdust, market wastes and mango wastes. At the plant, the intern will provide support to optimizing the operations and production of compost.
Full-time monitoring of the co-composting plant:
-Collect data on fecal sludge characteristics (composition, volumes, etc.).
-Characterize dewatered fecal sludge and leachate from drying beds before and after treatment.
-Collect data on the co-composting process and characterize the compost produced.
Assist in optimizing the co-composting plant:
-Improving fecal sludge dewatering times using different media, e.g., sawdust, rice husk.
-Implementing reuse options for the treated effluent from the stabilization ponds to close the water loop, i.e., fecal sludge tank cleansing, compost moisture addition, etc.
-Optimizing co-composting with different feedstock.
Requirements: Qualifications, exposure and skills:
- MSc or MPhil in Environmental Science, Civil Engineering, Process Engineering or a related field.
- Experience in fecal sludge handling and processing.
- Experience in fecal sludge sampling and testing.
- Experience in composting.
- Proven ability to work under pressure.
- Ability and willingness to spend time in the field.
- Knowledge of at least one local language in use in Ghana’s Eastern region (e.g., Krobo, Ewe, Twi).
- Experience in writing technical reports.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications.
Your application should include the following:
- A cover letter describing why you consider yourself to be the most suitable candidate for the internship.
- Updated curriculum vitae including previous work experience.
- Contact information of three professional referees.
The duration of the internship will be for a period of 7 months. This is a nationally recruited position and only citizens of Ghana are eligible to apply.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
: 5 May. 2021
Employers are looking for you. Upload your Résumé.