Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To provide safe, environmentally compliant and cost-effective maintenance welding, machining and fabrication services to contribute to optimum equipment availability and achievement of production objectives.
- Work from engineering drawings, sketches, other specifications, as well as verbal instructions.
- Position and secure parts for welding, fabrication, gouging and / or grinding using jigs and fixtures, as appropriate.
- Select appropriate welding equipment, such as gas torches, portable electric arcs, and semi-automatic and automatic machines, and select appropriate electrode for material.
- Set up and adjust equipment and controls to regulate gas pressure, voltage, or amperage.
- Accomplish work objectives by determining own work schedule, coordinate with support services and assign short-term tasks to Mechanics / Electricians or the Supervisor, as necessary.
- Produce daily reports indicating the jobs for the day and submit the report to the Supervisor
- Manage and apply safe systems of work without supervision and provide technical guidance, when required.
- Ensure all safety paperwork is in place before performing any tasks.
- Attend daily pre start and al safety meetings.
- Perform other related activities, as assigned by the Welding Supervisor
The above duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Completion of trade certification, apprenticeship or another recognized welder training program.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Advanced knowledge of welding techniques and standards and related safety standards
Minimum of 3 years’ experience in maintenance welding, machining and fabrication, repairing and maintaining industrial or mining equipment and auxiliaries.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot, check tolerances and use precision measuring tools.
- Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment / parts.
- Ability to use Oxy / acetylene, 9’’ & 5” grinding machine, Arc welding machine set, thermal lance, welding shield and other specialized welding equipment.
- Ability to understand the procedure of installation.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings or blueprints.
- Safety Conscious.
- Detail Focused.
- Technically Inclined.
- Results Driven.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be required to work in confined spaces and may be exposed to vibration.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The incumbent will occasionally lift heavy materials and / or operate heavy machinery.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 15 Oct, 2020