Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, and health? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the Tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
This post is part of our growing Ghana country team and global Tech for Development programme which is enabled by a dynamic external partner across existing and new operations in our Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy Divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered across 30 countries, of which Ghana is a priority country.
The Government of Ghana through the Ministry of Communications and Digitalisation is embarking on the design and development of a National Digital Architecture framework to support the digitisation of the country in a manner that captures and benefits every citizen.
Job Title: Enterprise Architect
Developing this framework requires a determined effort to understand the new reality, in order to resolve the new challenges arising from the internet era, combined with the legacy technologies already in place.
Our main objective in this strategically important role is to support in the delivery of the Government’s digital transformation agenda. We have an advisory team embedded in the Government of Ghana working within the central government to design policies and architectural frameworks. In your role you will consolidate the government requirements (functional requirements) with the technologies (technical requirements) to create an executable future technology Architecture blueprint for the Government. You will also stay on top of the latest trends and technologies and keep an eye out for any software, services or hardware that might improve government processes.
This is an initial six-month senior role requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise and deep subject matter knowledge.
Key outcomes of the role
The key factors to a successful delivery of this project are:
- TCO of Government of Ghana’s Tech ecosystem significantly reduced
- interoperability between systems cross Ministries improved
- harmonious data view over Government of Ghana’s most relevant IT-Systems in order to be ready for the implementation of Big Data capabilities
To achieve this, the post-holder will be expected to:
- Build productive relationships with key senior stakeholders in Tech within the Government of Ghana with a focus on the Ministry of Communications & Digitalisation as well as other stakeholder ministries
- Development of a common National Digital Architecture to improve interoperability, uniformity, scalability, cyber security, Big Data capabilities and reduce Government of Ghana’s overall Tech total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Drive the execution of the National Digital Architecture design with a small talented team of consultants
- Determine and define the parameters and dynamics of potential project opportunities, including Tech/Digital solutions, Tech resource requirements, Risk Assessment, SWOT analyses, stakeholder/partner analyses and a project plan
- Perform in-depth Technology Landscape assessments to identify and evaluate the current and future status of relevant technologies as they are developed within the various ministries within the Government of Ghana
- Keep abreast of the latest Technology Industry architecture standards
- Strategy and Planning : Write a plan of approach that clearly articulates how the common National Digital Architecture. in scope will contribute to the key objectives as outlined in the key objectives for this role. Integrate this plan with the overall Government strategy, which covers from one tech domain to another. Integrate architecture recommendations within existing architectural frameworks, with the purpose of creating a common National Digital Architecture
- Government Relations : Establish effective and trusted relationships with the key stakeholders including Ministers, Senior Advisors, Director General’s, and Directors
- Execution and Monitoring : Establish, review, and maintain project goals and plans. Serve as the focal point for the Tech Architecture development team. Report and engage with the Head Technology for Development Ghana, to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot, and manage the initiative across the Ministry of Communications and Digitalisation and overall Government. In addition, it is expected that the post holder supports the Head Technology for Development Ghana in the development of TBI’s Tech for Development country strategy
- People : Work with the embedded and digital transformation teams at the Ministry to realize the stated key objectives for this role in keeping with the Ministry’s vision, TBI Ghana T4D strategy and the global T4D results framework. Furthermore, it is expected that the post holder will seek alignment and work closely together with TBI’s global T4D Tech Public Policy team if and when relevant
- External Relations (non-governmental) : Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as consultants, International development agencies, Government/Ministries, and agencies
- One TBI : The post holder will formally report into the Head Tech for Development Ghana, and form part of the wider country project team and global Tech for Development team. Engage with other T4D colleagues providing T4D Tech architecture advisory to government and generate cross-country learnings and best practice contributing to a broader learning culture within the programme
We are looking for an experienced leader:
- Strong understanding of, and ability to navigate, the Ghana ICT eco-system and government machinery, its structures and operating environment
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience
- With demonstrable experience and expertise in cloud computing, systems architecture blueprints, strategy development and enterprise solutions
- 7+ years’ experience in leading Tech Architecture consulting engagements. Post holder has proven experience in implementing large transversal Tech Architecture changes with direct report to and, or sponsorship from DG’s, Directors and, or Ministers within governments
- Proven ability to structure, articulate, prioritise, solve, and implement complex Tech Architecture problems
- Experience working in a developing country on Tech Architectures / projects
- A clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
- Fluency in English required (oral and written)
The following is also desirable:
- Previous experience in Ghana
- A strong network in the Tech sector in Africa
- A track record and ability to speak publicly and represent the Institute and your work to senior stakeholder audiences including government and the international community