AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as SUPERINTENDENT – HEALTH AND HYGIENE.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The purpose of the role is to ensure implementation of a risk-based health strategy which gears the mine to prevent and control comprehensive health risks and ensure safety and health of employees, contractors, dependents and communities. The role holder will liaise with the company and relevant stakeholders like the designated medical service providers, the Sustainability and Human Resource departments to ensure quality service delivery to enhance employee wellbeing and satisfaction of operational needs. The incumbent should understand health & hygiene risks across the mine and community, evaluate health & hygiene strategies and delivery models best suited to managing and mitigating those risks, and motivate as well as establish appropriate collaborations and partnerships for resources and access that will ensure best value for workforce and employer.
- Establish sustainable, integrated occupational health & hygiene management plans for the mine
- Ensure compliance with Ghana, AGA and relevant international regulatory requirements
- Develop and review processes and procedures for health
- Enforce all environmental work procedures that have been issued by the Departmental Manager.
- Investigate all environmental incidents in their assigned work areas. Immediately after an incident, complete an incident report form and submit to the Departmental Manager for onward submission to the Environmental Manager or his representative. A preliminary investigation report and any recommendations for preventing a recurrence should be included on the incident report form.
- Attend all scheduled and assigned environmental training meetings.
- Act on all employee environmental complaints and suggestions.
- Ensure implementation of critical control management for health risk
- Ensure contractor compliance with AGA and legislative requirements
- Build capacity and provide best practice guidance and oversight in health & hygiene programs.
- Ensure training awareness programmes for health risk and exposures to workforce and where applicable communities.
- Facilitate occupational risk assessments to meet operational demands.
- Prioritise health & hygiene related risks and ensure effective controls to manage these risks.
- Develop risk based medical surveillance programmes
- Develop fitness for duty assessment processes / programme
- Design and develop health and wellbeing programmes to optimise fitness for duty and productivity – to include awareness campaigns and relevant interventions to optimise health and wellbeing.
- Facilitate access to good quality services for illnesses and injuries among workforce and dependents.
- Establish, coordinate, and review the medical emergency plan for the mine and ensure availability and processes to access good quality services spanning from first aid to tertiary level care where necessary.
- Monitor key health & hygiene metrics across the operation, and ensure effective quality assurance processes in place
- Prepare health reports to various stakeholders as in line with prescribed periodic requirements from mine, AGA and regulators.
- Assess and review community health impacts and facilitate implementation of community health plans and monitoring thereof.
- Collaborate with relevant implementation stakeholders internally and externally to mitigate through evidence-based control interventions.
- Liaise with multidisciplinary teams to ensure implementation of critical controls to mitigate workplace exposures.
- Liaise with relevant service providers to mitigate overall wellbeing and community health risk.
- Develop areas of support, service level agreements as well as performance monitoring / reporting processes for the designated hospitals, malaria programmes and sustainability.
- Advise HR Department and mine management on workforce wellbeing interventions to be implemented.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in any of the following; Occupational and Environmental Health, or Safety, Health and Environmental Science/Engineering, Environmental Science/Engineering, Chemical/Mineral Process Engineering or Sciences, Health Science, Medical Sciences, and in each case with Basic qualification, experience and understanding in Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene.
- Membership with ACGIH or BOHS will be an advantage
- Experience with Occupational Health and Safety Auditing (OHSAS 18001:2007) or (ISO 45001) Standards.
- Experience and knowledgeable in applicable Ghanaian Mining Regulations.
- Eight (8) years’ experience in an operating mining and mineral processing related working within the interface of Health, Safety and Occupational/Industrial Hygiene.
- Understanding of Mining and ore processing philosophy, Unit Operations and their respective exposures within the mining and processing flow.
- Astute in quantitative and statistical analysis and interpretation.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel and other data management systems.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and to make decisions in a manner consistent with established Company policy and the relevant laws and regulations associated with the role.
- Ability to identify opportunities, diagnose problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to inspire and motivate others, promoting collaboration and teamwork, developing others.
- Team player.
- Good communication skills.
- The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
: 24 May. 2021
Employers are looking for you. Upload your Résumé.