Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Shift Supervisor – Preventive Maintenance
To supervise and coordinate Shovel and Drill maintenance work to ensure that production plans are realized. To lead and support mechanics, electricians, technicians, and operators in the delivery of maintenance work to ensure that specifications are met, and objectives are achieved in an effective and efficient manner.
- Oversee Shovel and Drill maintenance work in all mining areas.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Check that daily and rotational quality targets are achieved, including First Stop After PM (FSAPM), Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) and Mean Time to Repairs (MTTR)
- Assist in the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STPs).
- Work with the stores / procurement department to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts and supplies are available to maintain the mining plant and associated facilities.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his/her supervision.
- Provide effective on-the-job training and coaching to ensure employees gain new skills and achieve their maximum potential.
- Organize, distribute, and coordinate all maintenance works at the mine areas to support all the activities assigned to mine maintenance, including planning.
- Produce various reports (progress reports, incident reports jobs etc. and submit the report to the General Foreman.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Degree or HND/Advance Diploma/Tech (111) in mechanical / electrical engineering.
- MINCOM certification as Sectional Engineer
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance of drill rigs and excavators.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in mining maintenance or similar environment
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a supervisory role.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit in the cabin of heavy mining equipment tracking over uneven surfaces for extended periods, climb stairs, walk, and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature, moving machinery, hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, extreme weather conditions.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs, and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent occasionally must work overtime.