Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Underground Mine Maintenance Planner
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
To perform and oversee the maintenance planning and scheduling for the Underground Operation to maximize ‘tool time’ of the maintenance crew by anticipating and eliminating potential delays through planning and coordination of labor, parts and material, and equipment access.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
Work Request Management
• Establish and maintain long-term maintenance schedule (i.e. six to twelve months ahead).
• Conduct regular schedule reviews with key stakeholders.
• Manage all new work requests or notifications by:
• checking for duplicate requests.
• reviewing requests and determining their respective validity.
• prioritising, setting due-dates and obtaining approvals as required.
Shutdown Planning and Scheduling
• Plan and schedule minor and major shutdown works.
• Review work orders and Maintenance Plans or MSTs for inclusion in shutdowns and change work groups, as required.
• Export shutdown work orders to MS Project, as required.
• Determine shutdown critical path activities, update shutdown schedule as required.
• Update CMMS based on changes made to the shutdown schedule.
• Oversee end-to-end contractor management, including work orders, service orders and tracking purchases to adhere to target rates and preferred suppliers of labor and material.
• Manage invoices and payment approvals for contractors.
• Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
• prioritizing and allocating tasks / responsibilities.
• checking and controlling the quality of work outputs.
• providing on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching.
• performing the first level of performance appraisal.
• recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions.
• recommending salary increases or promotions for staff.
• disciplining poor performance or actions (first level of disciplinary).
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL CONT.:
Work Order Planning
• Oversee that work orders are fully planned and resourced prior to being scheduled.
• Conduct reviews of maintenance plans and costing and make adjustments where required.
• Conduct coding of work orders to suit the requirements of the AMT budgeting tool.
• Review outstanding work orders to identify jobs to be planned.
• Identify and document planning details including but not limited to job scope, task list, procedures, resources, skill sets, parts, materials, services, job duration, cranes and hoists, special tools, required plant, outage requirement, cost estimate, safety requirement and notifications, risk assessments, permits, isolations and quality checks.
• Create reservations and requisitions for parts, materials, services and special tools and equipment.
• Set work order status to fully planned.
• Create Maintenance Plans or MSTs with Task Lists or Standard Jobs; update and create Task Lists or Standard Jobs for all repetitive corrective work.
• Create BOMs or APLs and Work Packs.
• Facilitate backlog review meetings with key stakeholders, as required.
1. Work Order and Pack Scheduling and Distribution
• Identify assets available for work in the next schedule period.
• Run forecast for the next schedule period.
• Run and distribute the following reports for each scheduling period to relevant stakeholders: Outstanding Work Report, Weekly Scheduling Report, Work Order Parts and Material Availability Report.
• Prepare and review draft schedule with relevant stakeholders, update and finalise.
• Distribute committed schedule to stakeholders and prepare weekly schedule folders for each work group.
Work Order Completion Management (CMMS)
• Update Component Tracking in CMMS.
• Check that work orders are completed with appropriate labor, materials and coding in a timely manner.
• Produce KPI’s for each period, review performance and take action to improve.
• Resolve MOS Element non-conformances by direct intervention/coaching wherever possible, or referring non-conformances to the General Foreman for resolution, if initial efforts are not successful.
• Take responsibility on identified improvement opportunities to the MOS Element.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
• Degree in an Electrical or Mechanical engineering field is highly desirable.
• A trade qualification in a mechanical, electrical or automation field is required as a minimum.
• Demonstrable knowledge of heavy industry maintenance principles and standards.
• Strong knowledge of industrial work management processes.
• Strong knowledge of planning and scheduling.
• Strong knowledge of the operation of the CMMS (SAP).
• General knowledge of performance measures and their interpretation.
• General knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
• Minimum of 2 years work experience in planning and maintenance systems in a large mining operation or similar heavy industrial site.
• Supervisory experience is highly desirable.
• Underground mining experience will be advantageous.
• Knowledge and experience with Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) will be advantageous.
• Position is located in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
• Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand. Field visits to the surface and underground operations will be required.
• Work Environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.