Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: General Foreman – Mine Maintenance Planning
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- To lead the mine maintenance team to deliver concise repair plans and schedules for all maintenance activities, ensuring efficient sequencing of all planned outages for the mobile and heavy mining fleets so that the repair activities progress in a safe, efficient, and repeatable manner.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
Mine Maintenance Planning & Reliability
- Upload and oversee of routine maintenance activities (labor, APLs, SJPs, costs, etc.) in SAP and Xeras / AMT.
- Upload work orders and requisitions (materials and services) in SAP.
- Schedule all routine maintenance activities (work orders) in consultation with Production and Maintenance, including short-term changes to the maintenance schedules based upon Production, Maintenance and Supply requirements.
- Provide quality work packs to the Maintenance Supervisors for all routine maintenance activities to ensure quality and efficient work execution.
- Supervise all maintenance planning activities and ensure that safe work practices are included in all maintenance schedules and plans.
- Manage the use of reliability analysis tools including reliability centered maintenance optimization, defect elimination and Root Cause Analysis.
Maintenance and Planning Supervision
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Supervise / coordinate the development and updating of all maintenance strategies for mine maintenance production assets and facilities.
- Supervise / coordinate the development and updating of all maintenance budgets for mine maintenance production assets and facilities.
- Develop the operations SOPs, management plans and operating procedures, guidelines.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to their supervision.
- Respond to emergencies that could cause injury to personnel or loss to production.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
- Provide direction, training and assistance to the maintenance planners, schedulers, and reliability engineers.
- Establish in-house training to enhance the use of SAP by Supervisors (Maintenance and Operations) and their delegates for Work Management.
- Induct new team members in their respective MOS elements.
Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
- prioritizing and allocating tasks / responsibilities.
- checking and controlling the quality of work outputs.
- providing on-the-job training, mentoring, and coaching.
- enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings, and briefings, etc.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (Including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Engineering Superintendent Certification of competency from the inspectorate division of Minerals Commission, Ghana.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Advanced knowledge of the operation of the CMMS (Ellipse / SAP).
- Advanced knowledge of performance measures and their interpretation.
- Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Minimum of 10 years’ working experience in heavy equipment / plant maintenance in a large gold mining operation or similar heavy industrial site.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing large and diverse teams.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook) and SAP.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Conflict management and influencing skills.
- Financial administration, analysis, and reporting skills.
- Detail focused.
- Safety conscious.
- Takes initiative and Proactive.
- Results driven.
- Attentive to detail.
- Team Player.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.