Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Long Term Planning Engineer
About This Role
- To create the conceptual mine plan, design and costs of the Subika Underground operation.
- To ensure the safe, efficient and optimal ore recovery, under the guidance of the Senior Long Term Planning Engineer.
In This Role You Will:
Mine Planning and Scheduling
- Supervise the development of all mine operating plans which includes input from sub-department heads.
- Work with the geological department to increase the mine reserves via the resource / reserve process.
- Supervise the generation of mineable shapes for Sublevel Shrinkage (SLS) and open stope from the grade control model for issue to production planning, six months ahead of schedule commencement.
- Generate a yearly forecast schedule every three (3) months and provide recommendations to achieve compliance to the budget.
- Provide guidance to short-term planning / scheduling to ensure alignment to longer-term goals.
- Develop the medium-term planning guidelines & procedures and ensure they are updated bi-annually.
- Ensure the integrity of the Deswik master schedule and confirm that it is aligned with the latest approved mine designs and schedules.
- Establish and maintain appropriate communications within the department and other departments by maintaining appropriate relationships.
- Assist in planning the work required and deliver reserve calculations in an accurate and timely manner.
Reporting and Compliance
- Maintain awareness and compliance with Company policies and procedures, federal and state regulations as well as local regulatory agencies.
- Ensure integrity of information and reporting standards.
Strategic Planning and Budgeting
- Contribute to cost control by participating in the annual budget preparation.
- Create and deliver annual mine assumptions, mine physicals and costs regarding business planning for peer review by stakeholders.
- Identify possible constraints, risks and opportunities and inform Management to assist with decision making.
- Participate in the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement, sustainability of systems, processes and practices considering global standards, productivity improvement and cost reduction.
Safety, Health and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment regarding safety and environmental practices.
- Identify potential hazards and actions that should be appropriately taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and resolve safety issues at regular meetings.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Mining Engineering.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in all underground engineering disciplines.
- Prefer a minimum of 2 years’ experience in underground mining operational time such as blasting, drilling, haulage and service crew works.
- Proficient in the use of the design software (DESWIK).
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access).
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Advanced planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Financial administration, analysis and reporting skills.
- Takes initiative.
- Results driven.
- Attention to detail.
- Combination of office and underground mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the work environment which requires the use of earplugs or/and ear muffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with a section of uneven terrain.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.