Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
Job Title: Regional Manager, Water Management
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- This role is responsible for the strategy development, coordination, planning and implementation of the Africa region’s Water Strategy and Water Maturity model.
- The role is also responsible for the design and construction oversight of the Region’s Mine Water Projects and for ensuring that the mines are operating consistently with the regional strategy.
- The role supports mine dewatering, process plant water supply, environmental compliance, permitting and Stage Gate Studies.
In This Role You Will:
- Provide support with executing the regional water strategy; review, lead and develop strategies and action plans to ensure that our water strategy and plans align with business plan, corporate standards and meet regulatory compliance.
- Lead the Region’s mine water management staff and external consultants during the annual planning process to ensure integration of project/mine water planning and business planning in line with company water strategy and values.
- Develop and execute the budget for mine water management requirements at the Africa Operations and Project sites.
- Maintain a high focus on safety by monitoring implementation of best practice mine water management at all Newmont Africa Sites. Review existing and set new hydrological, surface water and operational dewatering standards and processes for each operating Newmont Africa Site or Stage Gate Project to ensure consistency with regional plans.
- Work with Newmont Africa properties, Chief Marketing Officers (CMO’s), Sustainability & External Relations (S&ER), Project/Study Directors and Operations to define and set up operational review and risk assessment mechanisms of the Underground, Surface and Ground Water Plans for both underground and open pit operations.
- Undertake water modelling and facilitate technology and knowledge transfer between operations in hydro geology, hydrology and operations mine dewatering.
- Review Authorization for Expenditures (AFEs) and water infrastructure design, Water Technologies Use Assessment and Management and ensure alignment to required standards and future directions in climate change vulnerability, hydrological and operational mine dewatering process.
- Ensure that hydrological and dewatering policies, standards and processes and procedures are developed where appropriate.
- Provide staff development for Mine Water Management staff in conjunction with the Regional and Global S&ER Functional Leads.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Water Engineering, Hydrogeology, or similar discipline.
- A minimum of 15 to 20 years project engineering management experience including experience with greenfield and international projects, or an equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in an area related to Mine Water Management as a subject matter expert.
- Technical understanding and experience of hydrology including groundwater supply, pit dewatering and mine depressurization projects.
- Experience with groundwater and surface water modeling software including probabilistic water balance and scenario simulation models.
- Practical understanding of pumps, pipelines, and fluid mechanics for design of water handling system.
- Knowledge of water chemistry, water treatment and tailings management strategies.
- Experience in operations practices and standards, environmental, community relations is preferred.
- A proven track record or commitment to successful project execution and operations.
- Experience in the management and administration of budgets in a multinational mining company.
- Experience managing contracts related to mining, construction, and technical services.
- Previous experience supporting permitting and licensing.
- Prior experience with Stage/Gate or similar capital effectiveness programs.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Flexibility in moving between strategy and tactics is a requirement of the role.
- Strong leadership and a people-oriented outlook.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to influence and drive change.
- Ability to mentor, coach, and direct workgroup by establishing stretch goals for development of staff and promotion of quality study and project management.
- Ability to consult, listen, and provide superior customer service.
- The incumbent must possess the personal qualities of professional leadership, superior intellectual capacity, sound judgement, strong interpersonal skills and be business savvy.
- The position is a regional role based at the Ahafo South Mining operations in Ghana, with regular travel to other operating sites and projects in the Africa Region.
- The incumbent may undertake business travel to various Corporate mine sites and locations on the Company’s behalf.