Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Toolroom Technician
About This Role:
- Are you able to provide an efficient tools management service for the drills and shovel team to achieve effective maintenance repairs and identification and replacement of defective tools.
- Are you able to ensure waste generated by S&D maintenance is segregated and disposed of as required?
- Are you able to manage the safe operation of all tool room equipment including i.e. presses, surface grinders, power hand tools and safety gadgets/equipment etc.?
In This Role You Will:
- Daily issuing of tools and portable hand machines.
- Manage and arrange tool store.
- Ensure that tools checked out from tool store are returned.
- Ensure tools are issued clean, safe to use and in an acceptable state to use.
- Ensure that consumables stocked in tool store are replenished as needed.
- Ensure tool containers are kept clean and organized.
- Periodic and proper accountability of tools to Workshop supervisor.
- Ensure that tools and PPE attrition rates are held to acceptable levels.
- Issue PPE items to employees. Do not issue replacement items unless it is exchange for non-usable.
- Repair or arrange to have repaired damaged or worn tools, discard tools that are not feasible to repair and report to supervisor.
- Maintain and repair oil dispensing system, air regulators/lubricators, hose reels, pumps, and IBC’s.
- Empty waste oil container as needed.
- Ensure shop is kept clean and hazard free. Keep yard area clean and free of rubbish.
- Clean or arrange to have cleaned all hydro-carbon.
- Maintain workshop floor.
- Inspect wash pad and report to supervisor
Audits and Checks
- Check and ensure safety colour codes on all the tools are certified and updated.
- Audit tools box given out to mechanic/electrician.
- Ensure a total and effective tools record keeping, both manually and electronically.
- Monitor Oil Water Separators; ensure function of unit do not allow container to overflow.
- Inspect emergency eye wash.
- Ensure oil bund container is kept as clean and valve under lock.
- Provide monthly report on damage/broken and missing tools (forms/out of service tag and report to supervisor.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Accept personal responsibility for health and safety.
- Attend safety meetings.
- Adhere and comply to all stipulated Maintenance control regulations.
- Ensure all toolroom operations are following safety requirements promoting the company’s safety culture.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Any technical and vocation Trade Certificate.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience mechanical engineering field.
- Ability to identify tools.
- Computer literate.
- Have good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to multi task.
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude and strong, dedicated work ethics.
- Knowledge of ISO procedures – relevant to department.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Detail focused.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Results driven.