Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City – Accra is the only five-star luxury hotel offering state of the art meeting facilities and services in the city. Conveniently located in the downtown area and in close proximity to the State House, the Accra International Conference Centre and the National Theatre. The property has 269 luxury rooms (largest room size in Accra), 24 suites, a variety of F&B offerings as well as large conference facilities and the largest SPA in West Africa (opening soon), a perfect mix of categories to meet the needs of both corporate and conference visitors to the country.
Job Title: Pastry Chef
The overall scope of this role is to plan, organize, control and direct the work of employees responsible for the preparation and presentation of a broad array of cakes, pastries, desserts, petits fours and breads which meet customer expectations.
- Assist the Executive Chef in the supervision of all employees in the Pastry/Bakery kitchen.
- Assist the Executive Chef in establishing culinary standards specific for Pastry/Bakery which meets the need of the target market.
- Develop and maintain up-dated operations manuals for all Food Production and Stewarding sections and in making recipes and maintain up-dated and accurate costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the Food and Beverage operation.
- Inspect daily, all fresh food received to ensure a high quality is maintained.
- Inspect several times daily all food stores and refrigerated areas and suggest, where necessary, correct storage methods to comply with Health & Safety regulations, to avoid spoilage and ensure regular turnover of food items and give completed check lists to the Executive Chef.
- Check on a daily basis food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control.
- Liaise with the Chief Steward in order to ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained in all areas of the Pastry/Bakery kitchen, such as machinery and small kitchen equipment.
- Plan the duty rosters on weekly basis.
- Ensure the proper purchasing request, store requisitioning and controlling of supplies.
- Work with Executive Chef and Director of Human Resource to ensure the departmental performance of staff is productive and assist in planning for future staffing needs.
- Ensure training needs analysis of Kitchen staff is carried out and training programs are designed and implemented to meet needs.
- Provide input for probation and formal performance appraisal discussions in line with company guidelines.
- Coach, counsel and discipline staff, provide constructive feedback to enhance performance.
- Work with Executive Chef in the preparation and management of the department’s budget.
- Demonstrate Awareness of OH&S policies and procedures and ensure all procedures are conducted safely and within OH&S guideline.
- Maintain a hygienic kitchen and personal hygiene.
- Be aware of duty of care and adhere to occupational, health and safety legislation, policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and operate equipment safely and sensibly.
- Initiate action to correct a hazardous situation and notify supervisors of potential dangers.
- Log security incidents and accidents in accordance with hotel requirements.
- Implement and practice HACCP.
Additional responsibilities and tasks can be added at any time according to the needs of the business and of the hotel.
Desired Skills And Qualifications
- Gastronomic education certificate or equivalent (apprenticeship/diploma/BA/Bsc)
- Must show signs of career development
- HACCP certification
- Minimum 3 years kitchen experience
- Minimum 1 years in a pastry kitchen role, preferably with a 5* Hotel chain
- Experience in the retail sector is beneficial
- International experience preferred
English – excellent oral and written skills