WSP Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Job Title: Tailings/Geotechnical Engineer
Golder has an exciting new opportunity for a Tailings/Geotechnical Engineer to join our Mine Waste team on a full-time basis in Accra Ghana . This is an Intermediate level position in the consulting team and is regarded as a professional person in the delivery of geotechnical and tailings services, in line with the Golder suite of engineering products.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Providing tailings services and technical advice on moderate complex tailings issues to clients (external & internal) on projects within the mining industry;
- Providing geotechnical related services to the Mine Waste unit including geotechnical modelling, analyses and design, geotechnical investigations and liaising with external commercial laboratories.
- Using advanced techniques, modifications and extension of theories, practices to synthesise and analyse data for decision making / recommendations;
- Managing, analysing tailings and geotechnical reporting for projects which may include the design and inspection of mine waste storage facilities, the construction of tailings deposits, the operation and management of deposits, properties and behaviour of tailings, closure and deposits stability and seeping analysis and water storage dams and earthworks;
- Providing safety leadership in health & safety (HSSE incident reporting);
- Participating in training activities, mentoring and transferring knowledge to junior geotechnical / tailings engineers;
- Planning, developing schedules, coordinating and overseeing manpower on important engineering projects to meet completion deadlines;
- Supervising, coordinating and reviewing / evaluating activities carried out by junior engineers; and
- P reparing proposals and reports for clients, and building business relationships with clients
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- Relevant degree in the Civil Engineering with minimum of 6 years experience post graduation with developed specialist skills in the area of tailings and geotechnical engineering;
- Honors degree (BEng or BSc) in the Geotechnical field preferred;
- Professional registration preferred;
- Legislation related to engineering design supporting water use and waste management license applications;
- Financial knowledge (Understanding of Work in Progress, Accounts Receivables and DSOs);
- Proven skills/ experience to lead integrated project mine waste projects coupled with sound project management skills;
- Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel (Advanced), MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook , MS Projects.
- Proficient in Slope stability, seepage analysis and FEM software, such as Geostudio, Slide and Plaxis. Proficiency in other engineering related software will be considered beneficial;
- International traveling for site inspections, geotechnical site investigations and audits;
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and remuneration package;
- Deepen your expertise in a dynamic and globally connected work environment;
- Opportunity to deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment;
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects; and
- On the job training, mentoring, and coaching.
Renowned for technical excellence, WSP Golder is a leading specialised engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 155 offices in more than 40 countries, Golder’s professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialised skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.