Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To coordinate, direct and lead blast hole drilling activities, in a safe manner, and coordinate resource allocations to effectively complete the activities.
- Execute short, medium and long-term mine drilling plans.
- Implement goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the area.
- Oversee and coordinate the weekly plan for the initiating of drilling schedules.
- Coordinate, prioritize and assign drilling tasks for completion to meet blasting target goals.
- Prepare the drill pattern for blasting and conduct final priority drilling inspection.
- Conduct pre-drilling risk assessments on drilling areas to provide assurance on the safety of all equipment and staff, and to prevent the possible rock fall and / or collapse.
- Install physical critical controls (i.e. demarcations, flags, cones) and make sure that all are in place, prior to drilling.
- Obtain survey limits from the relevant stakeholders to determine drill sites.
- Coordinate and pair the drilling crew with the relevant equipment required to execute tasks.
- Undertake safety inspections of the drilling work sites, before, during and after drilling activities.
- Schedule and supervise all drilling activities, by overseeing and evaluating works-in-progress and assure that all activities meet quality control standards, specifications, codes and regulations.
- Identify opportunities for both short, medium and long-term interval controls, based on the drilling plan, and make any necessary adjustments and changes to the shift, to meet daily target projections
- Coordinate with Supply Chain to procure and keep raw consumable stock levels up-to-date.
- Coordinate with Mine Maintenance to assure that maintenance requirements are reported timeously and to secure maintenance equipment availability.
- Communicate with Dispatch regarding the capturing of drilling delays in the JIGSAW system for updating real-time consumable information for better future planning and continuous improvement purposes
- Suggest opportunities for continuous improvement of drilling activities.
- Comply with safe drilling procedures for both Newmont and contractor staff.
- Verify that all Newmont health and safety principles are upheld by staff.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Attend monthly safety inspection and meetings.
Supervise all direct reports by:
- Participating in the recruitment and selection of staff.
- Recommending the selection of new staff.
- Conducting crew assessments.
- Participating in team performance management calibrations.
- Coaching and mentoring staff.
- Disciplining poor performance or actions.
The above duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Bachelors’ Degree in Mine / Civil Engineering, Geology or related field.
- Mine Foreman Certificate.
- Detailed knowledge of safety management systems.
- Detailed knowledge in drilling accessories.
- General knowledge in heavy equipment operation.
- Minimum of 4 – 5 years’ drilling and blasting experience in large open pit mining environments, of which at least 2 – 3 years’ experience should be in a shift supervisory capacity.
- Experience of delivering grade control and exploratory drilling operations
- Customer Focused.
- Safety Conscious.
- Results Driven.
- Attention to Detail.
- Team player Accuracy.
- Strong technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project, SAP and ERP/CMMS.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is high. The incumbent is frequently exposed to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, and extreme weather conditions.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 14 Oct, 2020