Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To conduct daily operation of drills, monitor associated consumables to drill in an in-situ rock mass or boulders and prepare them sufficiently for blasting, in a safe and controlled manner.
- Utilize the pre-split drill (Cubex) and production drill (D45KS) to accomplish various drill activities
- Maneuver and position drill by using jigsaw system, site plans and layouts and set correct angles and depths.
- Conduct pre-operational checks and monitor conditions by verifying component functionality, fluid levels and fittings, as well as depth and alignment of collaring positions.
- Communicate with the Dispatcher and Supervisor regarding hazards encountered to provide sufficient information to the incoming Driller for the smooth running of Operations.
- Prepare and maintain daily drill report and log book to outline shift activities.
- Provide hands-on assistance during drilling activities to fellow colleagues to ensure that safe work practices always.
- Follow all safety policies, procedures and legislation.
- Attend daily pre start meetings.
- Perform other related activities, as assigned by the Drill Supervisor.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate
- MINCOM Equipment Competency.
- License E (drill).
- Strong understanding of drill tool mechanical systems.
- General understanding of mining operations.
- General understanding of equipment controls and electronics.
- General knowledge in mid-to-heavy equipment operation.
Minimum of 2 – 3 years’ drilling and off-siding experience in a large open pit or quarry environment.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit in the cabin of a heavy mining equipment for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature, moving machinery, hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, extreme weather conditions.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent is expected to lift heavy materials and/or operate heavy machinery and is exposed to moving machinery.
- Incumbent has to work for extended hours.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 1 July, 2020