Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To support Global Exploration Database (GED) team in managing GED and GIS Databases.
- Support the management of drill holes and surface geochemistry databases in SQL Server.
- Assist with daily data extraction request from geologist.
- Assist with in-house GED tools development and enhancement.
- Support daily data loading and reporting of assay results.
- Assist in training geologists in the use of new GED & GIS tools which are introduced.
- Help generate both soft and hard copy geological maps using ArcGIS for all projects.
- Help in the installation and troubleshooting of ArcMap related errors for geoscientists.
Data Quality Assurance:
- Maintain the integrity of critical Regional Exploration datasets and provide support and training to geoscience staff in GIS practice.
- Implement and maintain robust data validation and quality standards.
- Assure security of Newmont’s Geological datasets.
- Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
- Conduct daily meetings to discuss Health and Safety threats.
- Identify and resolve safety issues within area of responsibility.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health and Safety and Environmental Standards.
- Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
- Liaise and work closely with Regional and Near Mine Exploration/Mining groups.
- Keep consistent communication with Global GGG group on Database related system and procedure updates.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A degree or diploma in earth sciences or computer science. GIS related, or geosciences degree preferred.
- Proficiency in SQL and at least one GIS software package.
- Minimum 1-2 years of relevant experience working with Database management systems, preferably in the Mining/Exploration industry.
- Applicable experience with Access, SQL Server, or other Enterprise scale systems.
- Good skills with SQL, ArcGIS and similar software systems.
- Strong data management skills and good understanding of computer operating systems, file management and security systems.
- Good knowledge in computer systems.
- Demonstrated strong communication and knowledge sharing skills
- Multiple skills set in exploration and mining software and computer programming is an added advantage.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Presentation skills
- Results driven
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Work well under pressure
- Will work in mines, project sites, and /or greenfield exploration environments where conditions may be primitive and /or harsh at times.
- Position requires interaction with exploration, mine geology and project groups, and will necessitate spending time in the field.
- Position will be Ahafo based.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
: 25 Feb. 2021
Employers are looking for you. Upload your Résumé.