AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: HSE Officer – Projects .
SOLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The purpose of this role is to provide advice, support and oversight compliance in terms of occupational health and safety in the Projects jurisdiction.
- Identify and correct unsafe work practices or conditions before accident occur, through regular inspection and fostering the safety attitude among the workforce during visits
- Assist in conducting planned inspection & audits using checklist periodically, aimed at evaluating compliance with standards and checking the state of safety of all equipment
- Assist in ensuring that all the statutory requirements that have a bearing on occupational health and Safety are adhered to
- Participate in all inspections and inquiries by the Mine Inspectors where required.
- Assist in conducting formal risk assessment of the underground activities and ensure that all significant risks identified from the risk assessment as well as all other sources, such as audit reports, are captured and that appropriate corrective actions are planned and implemented
- Assist in conducting investigations into the causes of all accidents, recommending, and enforcing the implementation of remedial measures to prevent recurrence
- Ensure compliance in conducting periodic planned job observations and planned inspections on various categories of the workmen and related underground plant infrastructure to enhance safe work practices
- Assist in conducting periodic on-the-job training for the various categories of underground workers to heighten their safety awareness to ensure they carry out their tasks in a safe manner
- Assist in ensuring that PPE’s supplied to workmen and other working equipment and tools meet the company’s standards and enforce their use where necessary
- Attend, participate and / or facilitate safety meetings including Safety Committee meetings and Toolbox Meetings
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have a Degree in Engineering or Physical Science or a similar qualification from a recognized institution
- Must have at least 2 – 5 years working experience with exposure to mining regulations
- Audit and Inspection – Has completed an external safety or lead audit course. Has participated in audits at other sites as a team member and can develop workplace inspection systems.
- Incident investigation – Has successfully completed IIP training course and can apply this knowledge to lead investigations for moderate or high events and can participate as a team member in major and extreme events.
- Data and Information management – Understands basic lead and lag safety data and can manipulate this data to develop short term safety improvement plans. Able to develop work plans for teams to meet predetermined objectives
- Must have good planning, integration, and resource management skills