AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Underground Superintendent – Shaft & Winders .
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Underground Superintendent – Shaft & Winders is accountable for monitoring and control of the winding equipment to ensure the operation is always compliant, safe, in accordance with operational and Engineering policies, standards, systems and procedures to maximise plant (winder) availability in a compliant, safe, sustainable, cost-effective manner and minimize operational risks in order to meet the business’ strategic objective.
- Apply HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
- Demonstrate safety behaviour that is consistent with AGAG’s vision and values.
- Lead by example to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed, so tasks are performed without risk of injury or harm.
- Timely investigation of all injuries, illness, and incidents with action plans developed to prevent recurrences
- Ensure monitoring and data collection to demonstrate compliance, in accordance with the Government of Ghana conditions of approvals and the site’s Environmental Management Plan.
- Ensure zero reportable environmental incidents, zero compliance breaches and no events requiring public disclosure.
- Investigate process interruptions using ‘Analyse and Improve’ tools
- Using AGA’s How we Work guidelines, clearly define the roles and accountabilities of subordinates.
- Ensure the organisation structure is capable of delivering the required certified personnel to maintain winding plants and shafts fulfilling the strategic requirements at recommencement of operations.
- Communicate policies and procedures in a manner so as to achieve full understanding and compliance
- Provide guidance to subordinates in leadership techniques to achieve maximum performance
- Develop a skills matrix that includes all disciplines and individual achievements.
- Ensure operational areas maintain the skills matrix up-to-date
- Identify skill deficiencies and initiate corrective action
- Develop an appropriate succession plan for key positions with the correct supportive development plan
- Review, approve and sign off the winding maintenance training items detailed in the Refurbishment Execution Plan and schedule, infrastructure detailed design requirements, detailed testing plans, operational commissioning plans, handover plans, training plans, manuals, records, drawings, specifications and documents issued.
- Deliver winder operating and maintenance training and qualification levels consistent with the refurbishment plan and commencement of operations stages.
- Comply with reporting processes for managing training and qualification commensurate with winding equipment installation and refurbishment to deliver winding operations that meet cost, schedule and quality expectations consistent with the scope and quality contained in the Feasibility Study within area of accountability.
- Proactively control the training and qualifications process to avoid potential project cost and schedule overruns, whilst maintaining safety, budget, schedule and quality targets.
- Communicate accurate and timely maintenance schedule delivery, progress, cost and quality information in the area of accountability.
- Design and put in place reporting structure to provide major inputs to Engineering Manager – UG to allow reporting of Operational Readiness for the winding operations.
- Monitor the compliant completion of the winding aspects of the Operational Readiness plan for the mining teams including localisation plan.
- Engage and develop appropriately skilled, capable and experienced personnel in the area of accountability.
- Use the systems for the winding section to provide effective planning of work, efficient and safe work practices, monitoring of performance and promote continuous improvement.
- Identify sub-standard work practices, identify root cause and eliminate by corrective action.
- Task subordinates in line with achieving the agreed production plan
- Work with the team of Specialists to specify, design, analyze and verify new components and systems.
- Implement corporate programs, e.g. asset management strategies, System for People, Operational Effectiveness, etc. across areas of control.
- Deploy management routines to identify defects in the workplace
- Establish rapports with the other departments to ensure common goals are identified and reached
Provide technical expertise input in the development of a 2-year plan for winding activities:
- Ensure statutory and corporate compliance
- Identify trends in winding equipment and operations to support performance
- Monitor failure root cause analysis
- Identify and consider the applicability of new technology and products
- Monitor the stage of the life cycle costing of key equipment with consideration to changing operational parameters
- Evaluate the cost of changing operational parameters
- Contribute electrical maintenance input to optimise processing plant availability and capability in a sustainable manner.
Contribute to the sustainable use of the winding equipment:
- Plan and monitor completion of necessary training
- Plan, monitor and analyse to ensure long term sustainable operation of equipment
- Monitoring of the usage of winding equipment
- Ensure cost impacts in area of accountability are evaluated, approved and budget is revised
- Control delivery of winder maintenance training to the approved budget whilst proposing solutions to adapt to unforeseen circumstances and identify and discuss opportunities to exceed annual budget and action authorised changes
- Identify, communicate and implement potential cost reduction initiatives
- Manage the department in line with operational budget
- Develop and maintain the maintenance training portion of the Winding Engineering Management Plan, as a key Project Execution Plan sub plan for the area of accountability
- Arrange input and support into establishing and maintaining Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget, schedule, and construction work packs for refurbishment activities.
- Oversee the Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process, review and approve appropriate technical and non-technical documentation.
- Review and input into relevant plans such as Health, Safety, Quality and Commissioning
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Maintenance Engineering, or equivalent
- Financial, commercial and project management through work experience and courses.
- An experienced Winder Operations Manager/Specialist with 10+ years’ experience in underground mining
- Experience with Winder and Shaft maintenance, covering all aspects
- Experience in Project Management
- Knowledge of SAP PM module
- Must possess Engineering Certificate of Competency from Mineral Commission of Ghana.
- Strong Winder Operations competencies in underground mining
- Sound project management skills
- Should have analytical skills to be able to evaluate information and solve complex problems.
- Detail oriented to understand complex systems, and recognition that a minor error can cause major problems.
- Commercially astute and able to work effectively with third parties.
- Legally astute with respect to project delivery and maintenance systems
- Excellent skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel
- Must be able to communicate about technical issues both orally and in writing
- Knowledge in AGA standards
- Knowledge in OEM legalities and mining regulations
- Demonstrated understanding of good Engineering practices and the implementation of proactive maintenance strategies
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing those outputs;
- Continuously improve the processes used by the team in delivering outputs;
- Model work behaviours for your subordinates,
- Consistent with the company values
- Proven ability to initiate and drive the construction project through its life cycle.
- To support and motivate the construction project team to deliver the project goals.
- Finding innovative solutions through creative thinking and problem-solving.
- Create an environment of teamwork and willingness to help coworkers
- Able to work different kinds of people
- Organizational skills to keep track of many workers, schedules, and budgets all at once.