AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: HSE Superintendent – Projects .
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
To monitor the implementation of company policies, programs, and initiatives related to Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) systems and sustainable development; including management or performance of the work necessary to ensure adherence to safety regulations, completion of safety training, and attainment of business values and objectives.
The role is responsible for the daily management of the Projects Safety Officers including the budget in these areas as well as coordinating, planning and managing the implementation of programs with other departments and stakeholders.
- Participate in developing, maintaining and monitoring the implementation of Health and Safety (H&S) policies and underlying procedures, and complete same from environmental perspective.
- Ensure effective implementation of health and safety programmes and related activities in line with regulatory and corporate compliance requirements and complete same for Environment.
- Manage and deliver required outcomes for specific projects / programmes / plans while reporting progress to senior colleagues
- Support in preparation of the annual Health, Safety and Environmental budget for projects.
- Participate in the planning process of Health and Safety resources to cover all Project operational areas of the mine.
- Plan and investigate accidents, injuries, environmental event or occupational diseases and determine the causes and preventative measures
- Report and review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspections and audits
- Provide guidance and offer solutions to safety problems across the Projects space.
- Manage/own the Risk Register of the Projects and follow up on actions to ensure they are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure all contractors who are engaged for the projects are well managed through onboarding to demobilization.
- Ensure compliance with AGAG health, safety and environmental standards including applicable regulatory requirements.
- Assist the Projects team in planning for compliance with regulations in connection with new or modified operations (e.g., new plants or processes, formulation changes, turnarounds) in order to ensure compliance
- Routinely inspect the facilities, machinery, and safety equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure compliance to safety regulation
- Routinely monitor the workforce for unsafe behaviors and coach employees on the correct behaviors when observed
- Audit OHS&E management systems that are consistent with company practices and reflective of the company standards and legislation
- Audit the implementation of the Critical Control Monitoring hazard protocols as per requirement
- Perform surveys, audits, and gap assessments and recommend corrective actions for continuous improvement to ensure safe and healthy working conditions throughout the surface operations
- Develop personnel – assess skills, determine needs and develop training programs for areas of responsibility
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Degree in Engineering or Physical Sciences or
- OHS/Mining related qualification and has worked for 8 years in a site-based safety role
Has a minimum of 3-5 years work experience within a mining environment and can demonstrate supervisory/managerial skill
- Safety Management systems
Can develop processes and procedures that integrate behavioural aspects into a system. Able to integrate across departments.
- Audit and Inspection
Has completed an external safety or lead audit course. Has participated in audits at other sites as a team member and can develop
workplace inspection systems.
- Incident investigation
Has successfully completed the AIIP or IIP training course and can apply this knowledge to lead investigations for moderate or high events
and can participate as a team member in major and extreme events.
- Supervision and Leadership
Can lead portions of the SLP and models required behaviors in the field. Able to coach management teams to adopt new safety processes
even when challenged.
Able to lead and direct the work of a small team of employees.
- Training and Coaching
Able to deliver generic training programs to individuals or small work teams. Able to coach management teams to adopt new safety
processes even when challenged.
- Data and Information management
Understands basic lead and lag safety data and can manipulate this data to develop short term safety improvement plans. Able to develop
work plans for teams to meet predetermined objectives
Develop Health & Safety personnel – assess skills, determine needs and develop training programmes for areas of responsibility
Provide leadership, coaching, mentoring and work direction and evaluate performance of the Safety Team
- Provide leadership and updates on safety audits, observations and near misses with follow up on all open action items
- Direct the overall responsibilities within the Surface safety section, which includes daily direction of management personnel, operating budget, and improvements
- Supervise Surface safety section staff to ensure development, administration, including developing and conducting proficiency assessments