The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is the implementer of the Water Enabler Compact of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT-WEC) program funded by the African Development Bank. IWMI intends to recruit an intern to support the development of training modules, extension posters and a catalogue of water solutions. IWMI is seeking applications from enthusiastic students and fresh graduates who are looking to gain professional experience in the field of graphic designing.
Job Title: Internship in Graphic Designing
Irrigation and agricultural water management solutions provide farmers with the opportunity to cultivate throughout the year and also improve crop and water productivity. However, many agricultural extension agents and smallholder farmers lack information on available irrigation and agricultural water management solutions. In order to make training sessions easier, IWMI, through the TAAT-WEC program, is developing a training manual and extension posters on simple and readily available irrigation and agricultural water management solutions. The focus of this internship is to support students and fresh graduates from tertiary institutions to bring out innovative ideas for the design of the training manual and extension posters. IWMI provides a professional setting that allows interns to gain valuable work experience.
The intern will undertake the following activities under supervision:
- Assist in brainstorming sessions with technical teams to come up with ideas for the layout.
- Develop a standard layout, including selection of colors, images and typefaces for a training manual, extension posters and a catalogue of water solutions.
- Apply the layout to a training manual containing 13 modules, 14 extension posters and a catalogue of water solutions.
- Together with the team, ensure that the printed version of the layout meets the specified colors and quality standards.
At the end of the internship, the intern will produce:
- Standard layout for the training manual (including front and back pages), extension posters and a catalogue of water solutions (including front and back pages).
- Ready for print and online distribution: training manual containing 13 modules in an approved standard layout.
- Ready for print and online distribution: 14 extension posters in an approved standard layout.
- Ready for print and online distribution: a catalogue of water solutions for small-scale farmers in an approved standard layout.
Qualifications, exposure, and skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field.
- A bachelor’s degree in a different field with technical training in graphic design will also be considered.
- Good knowledge of design software, such as QuarkXPress, InDesign, and photo editing software, such as Adobe Photoshop.
- Exceptional creativity and innovation.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- An understanding of the latest trends in the development of training manuals.
- Efficient approach to time, costs and deadlines.
The duration of the internship is 4 months. This is a nationally recruited internship.