AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Chief Planning Engineer
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Chief Planning Engineer is to provide effective coordination of expertise and experience both within and across the Mine Technical Services to deliver an economic quality mine designs, and sustainable production scheduling to facilitate orderly development and exploitation of economically mineable ore reserves, to achieve organizational objectives.
- Accountable for the safety, output and behavior of the working team or Department.
- Identify the environmental aspects of all activities/areas of oversight responsibilities and provide appropriate mitigation measures.
- Investigate, respond and take measures to prevent actual/ potential environmental in the areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for continuous environmental improvement in the areas of work.
- Demonstrate Environmental Leadership by supporting team members and other managers to achieve their environmental objective and requirements
- Generate safe and economic life of mine plan, and short term mine design iterations and schedules for various mining methods.
- Provide ore reserve, block economic evaluation, and provision of competent persons report for corporate annual mineral resource/ore reserve reporting.
- Maintain the essential link between long and short term mine plans and schedules.
- Identify opportunities that create value and develop plan aimed at improving mine efficiency and flexibility.
- Assist in transition and implementation of mine designs and schedules by working closely with technical and operation teams namely; Geology, Geotechnical and Ventilation using best practice procedures.
- Utilize proven and modern mine planning systems to achieve best practices for the integrated mine plan.
- Provide training to upskill Planning Engineers to increase efficiency and reduce turnaround time for mine planning outputs.
- Present solutions to specific problems with defined resolution methodologies and resources to deliver improved performance in processes and procedures for improved mine planning
Conduct trend analyses on Mine Planning performance to identify and recommend ways of optimising resources for work cycle execution and pre-empting potential process and procedure variance through the establishment of
- Statistical controls (alert system),
- Improved work practices, procedures and processes
- Improved team knowledge and skills
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc Mining Engineering or equivalent;
- Eight (8) to Ten (10) years’ proven experience in mine planning in either an underground or open pit mining environment of which at least Five (5) years is at senior supervisory level within a planning/technical department.
- Proficient with Mine Planning Software
- Knowledge of a variety of mining methods applicable to the site
- Blasting and Shift boss certificates is an advantage
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Understands key mining processes and has demonstrated the ability to apply it in optimising performance.
- Demonstrate knowledge in production management, tracking, mining dispatch systems, surveying, geology, contract management, drilling & blasting techniques;
- Knows when to engage Specialists support.
- Demonstrate advance level of knowledge of planning systems and practices from long term to short term mine planning.
- Understands advanced principles of mine design including optimisation.
- Ability to generate and act as competent person for annual mine reserves statements.
- Understands the contract, the key deliverables, and the processes that are aligned to managing it successfully.
- Capable of having a direct role in managing an element of the contract management process.
- Can propose, draft, and analyse potential contract variations and amendments for approval by the contract manager.
- Creating a disciplined team to deliver the planned work to the defined standards.
- Managing oneself – taking ownership of one’s personal development.
- Building effective working relationships – the ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship;
- Building trust & accountability – displaying high levels of integrity and honesty;
- Maximising performance & achievement of results – solving problems and analysing issues, driving for results