SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in Agriculture, Energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
SNV currently aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation, with decentralised management. Our Global Support Unit backstops our teams around the world.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview of the Project
SNV has been present in Ghana since 1992 and is currently implementing the Boosting Green Employment and Enterprise Opportunities (GrEEn) project with funding from the European Union Emergency Trust Fund. The GrEEn project aims to create green jobs and promote green businesses to contribute to the creation of sustainable and climate resilient local economies in Ghana. For more information, visit the website: https://snv.org/project/green-boosting-green-employment-and-enterprise-opportunities-ghana
The project is seeking applicants for a full-time position for Agriculture Advisor
The Agriculture Advisor has the responsibility of facilitating the identification, development and implementation of business models whereby climate-smart agriculture solutions are integrated into selected value chain from an agronomic, financial and inclusion perspective. The Agriculture Advisor will be based in Kumasi, Ashanti Region, and will have to travel regularly to Western region and Accra.
Key Responsibilities include and not limited to:
- Coordinate and lead in conducting market scans, value chain and climate risk assessments, as well as in the identification of green business opportunities in the agriculture sector in the two focal regions: Ashanti and Western region;
- Support agri-businesses to develop sustainable and climate-smart business models; monitor and report on the performance of selected agri-businesses in coordination with service providers;
- Facilitate and provide technical inputs to multi-stakeholder platforms at the sub-national level where sustainable and climate smart business models are promoted, as well as approaches to promote climate-resilient value chains, climate smart investments and policy recommendations to support sustainable and climate-resilient economies are agreed and jointly implemented;
- Support Skills Development advisor in the design and implementation of training and coaching programs on agribusiness management for female and youth entrepreneurs;
- Support Business Development & Market Linkages advisors and Incubation/acceleration advisor in identification, testing and upscaling of green business models;
- Support Business Development & Market Linkages advisors and incubation/acceleration advisor in investment mobilisation for green businesses;
- Support in implementation of a business plan competition, as well as a challenge fund and Green Investment forum;
- Provide inputs to the project’s overall M&E system (e.g. data collection and analysis as needed; knowledge management).
- Master’s degree plus 5 years of experience or Bachelor’s degree plus 8 years of experience in a relevant discipline, such as: Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics or Business Administration;
- At least 3 years of experience in inclusive value chain development and agribusiness finance, preferably with experience in climate-smart agriculture;
- Understanding of climate change and environmental risk management and opportunities linked to the green and circular economy;
- Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising business cases;
- Understanding of market systems development;
- Experience in youth and women entrepreneurship programs;
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders;
- Good project management skills; ability to contribute to the project’s overall Monitoring and Evaluation system;
- Excellent organising, negotiation, facilitation, influencing and advisory/coaching skills;
- Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated;
- Willingness to travel to all project locations;
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 7 Oct, 2020