The USAID West Africa Energy Program (WAEP) works to expand supply of and access to affordable and reliable grid-connected electricity services in West Africa through a range of technical assistance, capacity building, and transactional support to advance Power Africa’s objective in the West Africa region.
WAEP will implement targeted interventions to achieve the following three outcomes:
• Increase the supply of power in Ghana/West Africa
• Enable expanded end-user connection to the grid
• Improve the technical and institutional capacity and performance of select national utilities, and other relevant national power sector entities
The Productive Use Energy Expert will conceptualize strategy, approach and specific technical assistance to provide under each of these activities:
• Design proposed TA together with engagement guidelines to create awareness of the benefits of PUE
• Identify specific areas for PUE in the various communities and develop financial models that will facilitate the implementation of the PUE activities
General Functions of the Position
The Employee shall perform the following general functions:
• Effectively inspire, support, and ensure the day-to-day personal performance of all staff under the Employee’s supervision in compliance with the Project Work Plan and the Project administrative and policy manual;
• Support the development and implementation of the Project’s technical efforts on CLIN 2 (Ghana) Programs.
• Effectively liaise with the CLIN 2 technical teams, cross-cutting team and divisions of USAID on all aspects of the Project Work Plan implementation;
• Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture;
• Maintain high ethical standards at all times, avoiding any actual or perceived conflicts of interest;
• Abide by all local laws, USAID regulations, and US Embassy/USAID project directives, whether written or verbal; and
• Perform any and all tasks as may be assigned by the Chief of Party or his/her designee as may be required to contribute to the achievement of Project goals and objectives.
Specific Tasks Applicable to the Position
As directed by the Chief of Party or his/her designee, the Employee shall perform, oversee, and support the performance of the following specific tasks:
• In collaboration with the utility, prepare a report on effective strategy to promote PUEs that can create larger paying electricity consumers to anchor the utility economics of serving these areas, particularly underserved areas of the NEDCO operating area
• Validate and replicate at least three financially-viable business models for productive use of grid electricity in agribusiness activities in the Feed the Future Zone of Influence.
• Conduct training and capacity building for NEDCo and MoEn and also skills development in the FtF zones
• Develop a community outreach manual on PUE
Qualification Required & Experience
• Possess a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in economics, engineering, finance or any related field, particularly in energy sector
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in energy sector implementation, 12 – 15 years’ experience preferred
• Experience in PUE related work required
• Experience working in similar context in Ghana will be an added advantage
• Previous experience with USAID and Power Africa and/or with donor agency programs preferred
• Demonstrated experience operating in developing country environments, including conducting technical activities
• Strong analytical skills required
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to solve complex problems
• Ability to write, communicate, and prepare engagement materials fluently in English
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Click Here To Apply Online
Closing Date: 22 October, 2020