PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Helps MicroFinance Institution (MFI) accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
Monitor compliance with the existing laws, rules and regulations of the institution’s country.
Advice the Board of Directors and management of the institution on the adequacy of the internal control systems and risk management.
Perform a statutory function if working in a regulated entity.
- Develops and submits for approval to the BAC annual audit plan that outlines the activities to be undertaken by the Internal Audit Department (IAD) during the year.
- Submits timely reports to management for all the audits conducted during the year.
- Submits written audit reports to the Audit Committee before every scheduled Board meeting.
- Submits high quality dashboard and any other required reports to the RAM timely.
- Tracks the status of issues / corrective actions arising from audit reports and provides updates to Management, RAM and BAC.
- Informs all concerned staff on changes in Internal control and audit policies and procedures.
- Carries out the Internal Audit Plan with the assistance of the Internal Auditors (if any) or on their own.
- Performs testing or ensures testing done by Internal Auditors is as per required standards and latest Audit Program.
- Prepares, reviews and issues all IAD audit reportsafter approval by the RAM.
- Discusses the results of audits with respective units/branch department managers and advices on appropriate actions to improve conditions.
- Ensures all audit testing is adequately documented and archived as required by local regulatory authorities and the RAM.
- Provides and independently appraises all operational functions of the institution.
- Reviews and updates Audit Programs and the Audit Manual when there are changes to products, processes, regulations or systems.
Supervision and Training:
- Supervises, motivates and reviews the work of the Internal Auditors (if any).
- Trains less experienced auditors to meet IAD audit standards.
- Appraises and evaluates all IAD staff development plans.
- Works to develop self and team members continuously.
- Ensures all members of IAD complete the required number of CPE hours every year.
Assist in Fraud Investigations and External Audits:
- Assist in the execution of external audits as well as examination to be conducted by government regulatory agencies and other stakeholder / raters.
- Promptly investigates any fraud incidents escalated by management, staff, RAM, BAC or through Whistle Blowing channel.
- Monitors implementation of issues raised by the external auditor’s management letters and Regulatory reviews.
- Prepares the IAD budget in line with the Annual Plan timely.
- Tracks performance against the budget and ensures that the budget is not exceeded.
- Build strong working relationships with the CEO and Senior Management team of the MFI.
- Build strong relationship with the RAM and demonstrate leadership skills with IA team.
- Build strong relationships with the BAC, external regulators / auditors.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- University degree in accountancy or business administration.
- Professional accounting(CPA/ACCA/CIA) qualification a must – CISA certification will be an dded advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years audit experience in banking supervision and/or microfinance(with a minimum of 2 years demonstrated strong leadership experience inplanning, supervision and management of an internal audit department a must).
- Experience advising senior management and reporting to audit committees on risk management and monitoring a must.
- Experience in systems analysis and audit would be added advantage.
- Understanding of sun systems, eMerge, TMS or other relevant accounting and loan tracking software would be an advantage.
- Excellent proficiency in the use of all Microsoft office applications especially Excel.
- Capability and willingness to take responsibility.
- A high sense of integrity.
- Determined personality with initiative, perseverance and the ability to motivate and manage the team.
- Must be a committed Christian and able and willing to participate and lead in daily devotions.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 8 Oct, 2020